Re[2]: [Exim] Using exim with getmail

Autor: Richard Welty
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re[2]: [Exim] Using exim with getmail
On Tue, 23 Jul 2002 22:16:50 +0200 Laurent DARRAMBIDE <ldarrambide-exim@???> wrote:

> > i'm a little baffled at what Laurent is trying to do here.

> very sad not beeing understood.really :-((
> I think I must blame my english skills.

well, somehow i missed your original post and so was guessing to some degree.

Laurent's fetchmail command to deliver to exim:

> POP <-- fetchmail --> exim (filter) --> mbox : easy to do using
> mta="/usr/sbin/exim -Y -d %T" in fetchmailrc

> discovered getmail, far more convenient for me:

getmail is a much simpler program than fetchmail, and it covers 98% of what
folks use fetchmail for with a great deal less pain and agony.

> POP <-- getmail --> mbox : OK
> POP <-- getmail --> procmail + Spamassassin {filtering} --> mbox : OK
> POP <-- getmail -x-> exim {filtering} -x-> mbox : FAILURE
>
> so how to : transmit mails collected by getmail to exim for filtering
> them. In other word, what's the trick to get getmail delivering mail to
> exim through a pipe to get the mail filtered ???

> sorry, but the getmail list is quite dead (already looked at it several
> times), I of course RTFMed, and send an email to the creator of getmail
> several days ago, without any feedback yet.

there is a good discussion of piping fetchmail output at

http://www.qcc.sk.ca/~charlesc/software/getmail-2.0/docs.html#delivery-targets

among other things, getmail won't deliver to an external program (which is
what you want) when it runs as root. it also considers an external program
sending to stderr an error indication.

there are also some issues with quoting whitespace.

richard
--
Richard Welty
rwelty@???                                 Averill Park Networking