RE: [Exim] smarthost, AUTH and different identities

Autor: Philip Hazel
A: Ulf Jaenicke-Roessler
CC: exim-users
Assumpte: RE: [Exim] smarthost, AUTH and different identities
On Tue, 23 Jul 2002, Ulf Jaenicke-Roessler wrote:

> > That seems correct. I cannot find p6.jaroe.de in the DNS.
>
> Actually this is a somewhat local domain. So three questions arise:

So your ISP won't like it. That figures. Most responsible ISPs check the
envelopes of mail from their clients.

>  1) Why does it work for one user, and not for any other?
>     It works for a local user, whose identity is the same as
>     the identity as registered at the ISP I use for sending mail.

Can't answer that because I don't have enough details.

>  2) How would I configure a correct domain if I dial-in using
>     different ISP's depending on the time of day?

You'd have to use the return_path setting on the router to change the
envelope sender appropriately. This could be done with a sufficiently
clever expansion string.

>  3) How can I make exim omit the AUTH or sender strings? Or how
>     can I set it to the registered user?

I don't think AUTH is your problem. I think it's the actual envelope
sender address.