[Exim] Re: smtp authentication

Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Derrick 'dman' Hudson
To: exim-users
Betreff: [Exim] Re: smtp authentication
--
On Tue, Jul 23, 2002 at 09:10:19AM +0100, Matt Bernstein wrote:
| At 10:07 +1000 Mitchell Smith wrote:

| >I am trying to authenticate from the /etc/shadow file via PAM.

[snip]
| Ahh.. are you using shadow passwords, which Exim can't read as it's not
| running as root?

| Someone made a pam_exim module (google for it), which might help, or (if
| you're feeling nice and insecure or just want to prove this is what bit
| you) you could stick the exim (or mail or whatever Debian call it) user a
| member of a group which can read /etc/shadow.

| Any good?

Nope. It's been tried before. Search the debian-user archives, a
group of us were messing with this several weeks back. Someone tried
the 'shadow'-as-secondary-group-for-'mail' trick and said it didn't
work. However, making 'mail' the owner of /etc/shadow works. My
guess was that exim wasn't picking up secondary groups at the time it
did the pam check.

Of course, if you use pam_ldap or pam_pwdfile then this issue goes
away.

Philip :
    Could this be mentioned in the spec -- if you use shadow passwords
        (via pam) then the exim user needs permission to read
        /etc/shadow

    Does exim pick up secondary groups before checking authentication?

-D

--
Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul.
Rather be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell.

http://dman.ddts.net/~dman/