Re: [Exim] autoreply transport (newbie)

Autor: Philip Hazel
A: Sergei Gerasenko
CC: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] autoreply transport (newbie)
On Mon, 22 Jul 2002, Sergei Gerasenko wrote:

> I've been reading the Oreilly Exim book and when I got to the autoreply
> transport section, I noticed that for the forwardfile and aliasfile
> directors we specify the address_pipe_transport or
> address_file_transport options provided we have a pipe or redirection to
> a file in our .forward or /etc/alias. I started looking for a similar
> option for the "autoreply" transport and couldn't find one.

It's called reply_transport, and it applies only to forwardfile, because
alias files can't generate auto replies. Note that this is for Exim 3,
which is what the book describes.

> It seems like almost all autoreply transport options can be specified in
> the "mail" command itself -- all except for the "mode" option. Or at
> least so it seems. So, how can one specify the mode from the user's filter?

Er, the "mail" command is concerned with generating a message. I'm not
sure what "mode" you are talking about. Messages don't have modes.

> I do have a second question. I have a box that is named, say
> "mail.domain1" and it is the mail server for, say "foobar_alias.com".
> "foobar_alias.com" has "mail.domain1" in its MX record. However, "foobar_alias.com"
> is really just an alias for "foobar_real_deal.com".

Alias in the DNS? That is, are we talking about a CNAME here?

> In my exim.conf on a completely different computer that runs exim just
> for outgoing mail, I set "qualify_domain" to "foobar_alias.com". When I
> send a message directly to, say "john" on "foobar_alias.com", I get the
> message at "john@???" as expected and the "Return path"
> contains "john@foobar_alias.com". So far so good.
>
> On yet another mail server, say "mail.domain2", I created a forward that

     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Is this also running Exim?

> redirects the mail for user "greg" to "john@???". When I send
> an email to "greg@???", I receive the email at
> "john@???" as expected but the return path becomes
> "john@foobar_real_deal.com". That is, "foobar_alias.com" gets expanded
> to its canonical name.
>
> What is the explanation for this behavior?

Exim does not canonicise domain names, but some other MTAs do, which is
why I asked if this third server was running Exim. (The RFC 821/822 mail
standards specified canonicisation, but this has been taken out of the
new 2821/2822 documents.)