Re: [Exim] Re: Exim rejecting email routed from ISP

Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Cam Ellison
To: exim-users
Betreff: Re: [Exim] Re: Exim rejecting email routed from ISP
* Derrick 'dman' Hudson (dsh8290@???) wrote:

>Rereading the error message a few times after having realized the
>cause of the problem (and written the rest of this message), I now see
>where the *other* problem lies. MailSite apparently does some sort of
>proprietary callback on the domain to try and prevent pirating. It
>sees a (presumably) sender address of @localhost so it (stupidly) does
>a callback to localhost and finds out that (surprise surprise) it has
>the same serial number as itself. Thus instead of returning "550 No
>such user <root@localhost>" it says "You pirated me". What a
>perfectly crystal clear error message :-).

<snip>

>| Here is a post-"change" example:
>|
>| 2002-07-18 18:02:54 17VMAY-0001iL-00 <=
>| bounce-debian-user=camellison=dccnet.com@??? H=localhost
>| [127.0.0.1] P=esmtp S=4609 id=AQJ2DB.A.v4F.QK2N9@murphy
>| 2002-07-18 18:02:55 17VMAY-0001iL-00 => root@localhost
>
>Why is exim trying to deliver to "root@localhost"? What user do you
>run fetchmail as? Do you have a "is <foo> here" option where "<foo>"
>is your username on your system? I suspect that fetchmail is creating
>that recipient, but it isn't what you really want.

My fetchmailrc identifies me as "camellison", and the dccnet server as
"mail.dccnet.com". That has not changed.

>| R=smarthost T=remote_smtp H=mailhost.dccnet.com [207.230.239.78]
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
>For some reason, you are trying to deliver root's mail via your ISP's
>server, and it doesn't know how to accept mail for "root@localhost".
>
>(mail shouldn't go to root anyways, you should have an alias in
>/etc/aliases that redirects it to your user account)

I do. Both postmaster and root go directly to me.

<snip>

>| "smarthost" is set in exim.conf as mailhost.dccnet.com.
>
>That would be set on a router. (at least, I certainly hope you don't
>have a "smarthost" director!)

I'm not quite that dim. ;-)

<snip>

>You could add "localhost" to the local_domains list setting instead of
>fixing the program(s) that generate @localhost addresses.

I shall do that.

>| qualify_domain = ellisonet.ca
>
>If fetchmail wasn't putting @localhost on the address then exim would
>have made it @ellisonet.ca and you wouldn't see this problem.

I have been running fetchmail as root (unwise, I know, but I was
unsure at the time about how else to set it up, and then forgot to
figure that out and change it). I guess I'd better read up on
fetchmail again and straighten that out.

Thanks, dman. A saviour once again..

Cam

--
Cam Ellison Ph.D. R.Psych.