Re: [Exim] Reducing number of Exim processes

Autor: Philip Hazel
A: Greg Ward
CC: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] Reducing number of Exim processes
On Thu, 18 Jul 2002, Greg Ward wrote:

> Thus, when a single post is approved, Mailman opens 1162/20 = 58 SMTP
> sessions to Exim on localhost, and sends the same message with 20
> recipients down each connection.

Others have suggested identifying the messages afterwards, and using
queue_smto_domains. That will help a bit, but not as much as it might,
because Exim has to start a delivery process in order to route the
messages before it can tell whether there are any remote deliveries.

The most reduction in processes would occur if you could submit the
messages with "queue_only" set. Then no delivery processes would be
started after reception. Delivery would then occur, one message at a
time, in the next queue run.

The only way I can think of doing this would be to use a different port,
on which you run a version of exim that has queue_only set in its
configuration file. You could probably achieve this by starting the new
daemon with some instances of -D in the command line to set the port and
queue_only options.