RE: [Exim] Exim and Spamassassin pipe problem

Author: Simon Barr
To: exim-users
Subject: RE: [Exim] Exim and Spamassassin pipe problem
> > I don't think your fix applies in my case as the error is
> different. Below
> > is the debug output I get.
> >
> >   SMTP<< RCPT TO:<simon.barr@???>
> >   SMTP<< DATA
> >   search_tidyup called
> >   LOG: 4 MAIN
> >     unexpected EOF while reading SMTP data (header) from mail
> >   Handling error in batched SMTP input

> What were the contents of the BSMTP input? This error means that the
> line containing just a "." that should end the message was missing.

The input was a mail returning from this transport:

spamcheck:
driver = pipe
command = /usr/exim/bin/exim -oMr spam-scanned -bS -d9
transport_filter = /usr/bin/spamc
bsmtp = all
home_directory = "/tmp"
current_directory = "/tmp"
user = mail
group = mail
return_path_add = false
log_output = true
return_fail_output = true
prefix =
suffix =
# Adding header, we will check for this header in the system filter. If
# the header is set we will not copy the mail to archive, this stops
# duplicate copies of mails. Otherwise the mail would be copied again on
# its return from being scanned by spamc.
headers_add = "X-Spam-Checked: True"
path = /usr/bin:/bin:/usr/lib

> > 554 Unexpected end of file
> > Transaction started in line 0
> > Error detected in line 3
>
> Looks like severe truncation!
>
> --
> Philip Hazel            University of Cambridge Computing Service,
> ph10@???      Cambridge, England. Phone: +44 1223 334714.

The mail that this debug info was taken from is a mail I receive every
day from one of our remote sites so I don't think it is due to the
contents. I only got the error on this particular mail once in about
seven days, although other mails were going wrong seemingly at random,
maybe 7-10 out of 150 per day.

So if the "." was missing that would point to spamc being the culprit
wouldn't it? Can I get Exim to keep what it had received before the
unexpected EOF and maybe dunp it to a text file to confirm the "." is
indeed missing?

Thanks.

Simon Barr
Systems Engineer