Re: [Exim] problem changing UID

Autor: Philip Hazel
A: Michael Collin Nielsen
CC: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] problem changing UID
On Wed, 17 Jul 2002, Michael Collin Nielsen wrote:

> I've tried that, and it all looks dandy to me, except for the errormessage
> about exim not beeing able to create spoolfile:

I know what is going on. Pity I've just frozen the docs for 4.10...

> The errormessage arrives as exim tries to create the vacation message,

That's the clue.

Basically, you can't use -C (even when started by root) to run an
instance of Exim that is going to try to send an autoreply message from
a non-root, non-exim process.

When Exim is called with -C, it passes on -C to any instances of itself
that it calls (so that the whole sequence uses the same config file).
If it's running as exim when it does this, all is well. However, if it
happens as a consequence of a non-privileged user running an autoreply,
the called Exim gives up its root privilege. Then it can't write the
spool.

Because of the architecture of Exim (using re-execs to regain
privilege), there isn't any way round this in general.

However, in your case, you could change things round, and use -C for
when you start the -bd daemon, and not use -C for the -q daemon.

Or try to figure out some way of configuring exim so that you don't
actually need to use -C at all. What are the differences between your
two configuration files?