Re: [Exim] Broken in...

Autor: Dave C.
A: Gururajan Ramachandran
CC: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] Broken in...
On Mon, 15 Jul 2002, Gururajan Ramachandran wrote:

> Hello,
>
> It seems someone found a hole in our Exim 3.12 system over the weekend and
> started using our email server to relay junk email. The turning off relay was already
> in place. They found some other hole by using a specific username. I have had to
> turn off this username via the system filter to temporarily disable the stream of email
> filling up the mail queue. Now the log has a whole bunch of messages that looks like
> this:
>
> 2002-07-15 13:30:42 17U9gI-0000uU-00 <= user@ourdomain U=user P=local S=1168

"P=local" - the message is not entering your system via SMTP, but from a
local process. Perhaps you have an insecure formmail script installed in
the webserver cgi-bin ?

> 2002-07-15 13:30:42 17U9gI-0000uU-00 => discarded (message_filter)
> 2002-07-15 13:30:42 17U9gI-0000uU-00 Completed
>
> I have changed the actual username and domain but the general idea should be clear.
>
> The problem is that it does not list sending host or any other info. I do not have enough
> knowledge to figure out how to track down where this stuff is coming from...
>
> Does anybody know how I can shut this off? It seems the Exim system thinks these
> emails are actually being generated locally?

The *are* being received by exim locally from some other process calling
exim. Where the other processes might be getting them, exim does not
know, nor can it.