Re: [Exim] LDAP authentication in Exim 4.0.5

Autor: Philip Hazel
A: David L. Harfst
CC: Exim Users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] LDAP authentication in Exim 4.0.5
On Wed, 10 Jul 2002, David L. Harfst wrote:

> Running the exim server with the debug flag shows that the
> server condition expands to "no", however, my LDAP server does
> not show any attempt at a connection. What am I doing
> wrong?

Can't really help you with the LDAP bit - I'm no expert, but my test
suite has exactly the kind of LDAP calls you have quoted. What debug
output do you get? I see lines like this:

Binding with user=xxxx password=xxxx
Bind succeeded: ldapauth returns OK

Remember that Exim is running as the user "exim" while authenticating.
That might make a difference.

> One thing to note: I'm using $2 and $3 as the username and
> password. Debugging showed that $1 was blank, $2 contained
> the username and $3 contained the password. Seems contrary
> to the documentation.

That's correct for PLAIN authentication. LOGIN uses $1 and $2, as you
have got in your config.