Re: [Exim] Open Relay

Autor: Dave C.
A: Duncan
CC: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] Open Relay
On Mon, 8 Jul 2002, Duncan wrote:

> --
> Hi,
>

> i read that its possible to check the domain part of the "From"
> header info of an incoming email and verify it with local domains on
> the server.

It is trivial (and common) for spammers to forge the "From" header
and/or envelope sending when using your server as relay. You should only
only relay from IP addresses/networks which are uner your control. If
your users/customer need to be able to relay through your server while
connected thru arbitrary remote networks, you need to setup SMTP
Authentication, which is the only way you can be sure that only your
customers (or at least, persons with a user/pass combination issued by
you) are able to relay through your server..