Re: [Exim] Email Loops

Autor: Tabor J. Wells
A: Terry Shows
CC: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] Email Loops
On Mon, Jul 08, 2002 at 11:31:12AM -0500,
Terry Shows <Terry.Shows@???> is thought to have said:

> I had an interesting problem. Email started looping between the second and
> third MX servers for my domain.
>
> More details:
>     DNS says mydomain.com
>     preference   0   mail.mydomain.com
>                 preference   5   mail.second.com
>                 preference  10  mail.third.com

> Sitting at mail.second.com, I sent an email to someone at mydomain.com
> 1) mail.mydomain.com was down.
> 2) Email was sent to mail.second.com
> 3) Email was sent to mail.third.com
> 4) Email was send to mail.second.com
> and on and on until it failed.
>
> All three email servers are running Exim.
> I have checked ALL listed DNS servers, and all agree that the order of
> preference is as listed above.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions or clues as what is happening?

I've seen this sort of thing happen when the mail servers were behind
something where address translation was going on so the system's IP
address was not the same as the public facing IP address seen in the MX
records. Do you have something like that setup withese these hosts?

Tabor J. Wells                                     twells@???
Fsck It!                 Just another victim of the ambient morality