Re: [Exim] Small change to exiwhat

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Iain Price
A: Ollie Cook
Cc: Dave C., exim-users
Asunto: Re: [Exim] Small change to exiwhat
Ollie Cook wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 08, 2002 at 12:15:26PM -0400, Dave C. wrote:
>
>>killall is fine - the only difference between kill and killall is that
>>kill takes PID's killall takes a pattern to match against process names.
>>
>>They are both capable of sending any signal to any PID..
>

> I beg to differ. Killall on solaris kills EVERYTHING. No PIDs or patterns
> are supplied, only a signal.

Same on digital unix (sorry, tru 64 - well versions up to 4.0f anyway -
i changed jobs at that point :).

Doesn't even complain if you give it stupid parameters - I ran "killall
-9 named" on our dev box once (yeah, i'm a nasty admin who doesn't like
his processes :) and watched the entire machine fall over :(( Damn glad
it was development only :(

I.e, you're very very lucky if you can stick with GNU based tools
(Linux/BSD(?)/Whatever) rather than have to use horrible commercial
unix. <shudder> Still ships with 'sh' as the default shell to </shudder>

Anyway, anti commercial unix stuff aside, I think the only portable way
is to use something like "kill `ps -ef|grep <process>|grep -v grep|cut
-c10-15 `". Horrible innit (the cut statement is wrong too, check what
the formatting is, and test it before you implement it on a platform :D

I've written lots of 'portable' system tests for netsaint/big brother
before, you get used to what works on some systems and what doesn't -
"df -k" is another thing with mostly standard output, but df -h is
better on GNU and df is very odd on solaris :)

Ah, if only everything was GNU :)

Iain