Re: [Exim] Re: SMTP protocol violation: synchronization erro…

Autor: Philip Hazel
A: Phil Chambers
CC: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] Re: SMTP protocol violation: synchronization error (Exim4)
On Mon, 8 Jul 2002, Phil Chambers wrote:

> I am concerned that just disconnecting may result in a sending site re-connecting
> straight away and causing a loop. An alternative would be to just dump any
> further input until the sending site finishes and disconnects. If the sending site
> thinks it has finished then it is more likely to go away.

Do you mean give no more responses, but just swallow input? In theory,
the sender shouldn't send any more input unless it gets a response. So
it will time out - which is equally likely to make it send again.

> I presume that in the case of the HTML based attack there would be no loop because
> the web browser would not keep re-trying, but other situations might be different.
>
> Am I being too pessimistic?

I doubt whether one can be too pessimistic in the matter of
junk/spam/attacks. :-(

However, I don't see that there is anything to be gained, and you tie up
your process longer.

Or do you mean send 5xx responses to all subsequent commands?