Re: [Exim] Re: Re: SMTP protocol violation: synchronization …

Autor: Dave C.
A: Derrick 'dman' Hudson
CC: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] Re: Re: SMTP protocol violation: synchronization error (Exim4)
On Fri, 5 Jul 2002, Derrick 'dman' Hudson wrote:

> --
> On Thu, Jul 04, 2002 at 05:46:11PM -0400, Dave C. wrote:
> | On Thu, 4 Jul 2002, Derrick 'dman' Hudson wrote:
> | > --
> | > |

> | > |

> | > It also helps protect against the HTTP form submission vulnerability,
> | > but I think the 5-bad-commands-and-you're-out check will handle that
> | > first.
> |
> | Which vulnerability are you talking about and how does exims
> | synchronization prevent it?
>
> http://www.remote.org/jochen/sec/hfpa/index.html
>
> To summarize, someone can craft a form that submits to
> http://you.mail.server:25/ and includes a MIME-encoded text area with
> SMTP commands in it.
>
> According to RFC 821, a mail server must ignore all unknown/invalid
> commands (in this example that would be the HTTP headers) and then it
> would see the SMTP commands and end up sending an email.

Uhm. exactly what does this accomplish? If the remote IP is otherwise
permitted to send mail to you, why bother sending it this way? If they
are trying to relay thru you they wont be permitted anyway..

Ok, just read the article, this isnt an SMTP daemon vulnerability, its a
browser vulnerability, and a fairly obscure one at that.