Re: [Exim] Behaviour I would not expect on callout

Autor: Xander D Harkness
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] Behaviour I would not expect on callout
Philip Hazel wrote:

>On Thu, 4 Jul 2002, Xander D Harkness wrote:
>

>>I have a rewrite rule in a host that sends mail to me.
>>
>>The rewrite rule is:
>>
>>root@???     root-wks@???

>>The server it is trying to relay through does a callout to the adsl line
>>that wks.harkness.co.uk is connecting from (where all incoming ports are
>>firewalled), rather than trying to do a callout to the mx record that
>>would serve harkness.co.uk. It obviously fails and rejects the mail.
>>

>The ACL is run before the address is rewritten by normal rewriting
>rules. Consequently, it is verifying root@???, not
>root-wks@???. I presume that wks.harkness.co.uk routes to
>that ADSL line.

My apologies, I do not think I was clear. The re-writing is done on
wks.harkness.co.uk. The sender and header lines
are rewritten before being sent to the relay box. It is the relay box
relay2.harkness.co.uk that is doing a callout to
wks.harkness.co.uk. having received a mail from wks-root@???.

It should not be looking for wks.harkness.co.uk and the adsl line is not
in any mx anywhere so I am guessing that
it is trying the incoming IP if it cannot find the domain under dns/mx.

>_exim -bvs root@???_
>
>? That should tell you how it routed it. (Add -d for debugging info.)

That was helpful as it advised that relay2.harkness.co.uk could not
resolve mx for wks.harkness.co.uk

....and now after struggling with it for a couple of hours I cannot get
it to repeat the error!

Kind regards
Xander