[Exim] Re: Re: Re: pipe transport

Autor: Derrick 'dman' Hudson
A: exim-users
Assumpte: [Exim] Re: Re: Re: pipe transport
--
On Thu, Jul 04, 2002 at 02:00:40PM +0200, Torsten Curdt wrote:
| Hi, Derrick,

| > | Do you thing a bash script could do that? Or do I need to code it by
| > | myself?
| >
| > Yes.
| >
| > Sample C program to crash on-demand <g>.

| probably the most useful program ever written ;-)

LOL!

| ...but thanks for the code!

You're welcome.

| <snip/>

| > That exit code of 139 is very consistent on my system. You might even
| > be able to simply list that as a temporary error in your exim config.

| do you really think so?

Yes.

| I was assuming that the whole exim child dies and I will have no
| return code at all!?

The child on the receiving end of the pipe dies, and apparently the
exim process gets back a return code that indicates the child died
with SEGV (which is how it can log it and handle it rather gracefully).

| so I thought you mean a wrapper to catch the signal and return a
| specific code then...

That's what I meant, but as I was creating that wrapper (the one-liner
I posted, just replace the echo's with exit) I noticed that the shell
did have an exit code from the bad C program. Knowing that, the
solution can be simplified to simply telling exim to treat that code
as a temporary failure. Try it and find out! (that's what the C
program is for -- it allows you to control when it crashes and when it
doesn't for testing)

-D

--

In his heart a man plans his course,