Re: [Exim] [Heads up] W32/Yaha.E p

Author: Nigel Metheringham
To: Alan J. Flavell
CC: Tabor J. Wells, Exim users list
Subject: Re: [Exim] [Heads up] W32/Yaha.E p
On Wed, 2002-07-03 at 11:16, Alan J. Flavell wrote:
> On Tue, 2 Jul 2002, Tabor J. Wells wrote:
>
> > Although since sending your note with the iframe tag in the mail, we've
> > received 13 anti-virus warnings to the list admin address. Since there are
> > apparantly so many crappy email anti-virus products out there, perhaps next
> > time you could just post a link to your favorite AV site writeup instead. :)
>
> Hmmm. If you had sent an attachment which fell foul of the filter
> at ftp://ftp.exim.org/pub/filter/ , then the item would be bounced.
> Presumably the bounce would go to the envelope-sender address, which
> is exim-users-admin@???

Yes - Tabor is one of those *lucky* people who gets the bounces (other
than those that Mailman recognises and handles itself) that go to
exim-users-admin@???

The exim generic filter does not handle iframe (wonder if the word
itself will trigger things elsewhere). The Mailman stuff strips
attachments which helps in making sure we don't generally distribute
real viruses - it also deals with HTML posts which are marked as such.

The real miracle of MIME and HTML email is that there is any
intercommunication at all - seeing as everyone who writes a MIME capable
mailer just glances at the specs (or not) and then ignores them
totally... so every MUA does something different :-/

    Nigel.