Re: [Exim] Need a little help with retry timeouts.

Autor: Philip Hazel
A: Richard Archbold
CC: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] Need a little help with retry timeouts.
On Tue, 2 Jul 2002, Richard Archbold wrote:

> I was wondering - would the fact that the queue-runner program has attempted
> several queue runs which have failed due to the fact that the customers
> server was not on-line cause the mails to bounce back early ?

Depends what you mean by "early". Remember that Exim's retrying for the
most common errors is host-based, NOT message-based. So if Exim thinks a
host has been down for a long time, it will bounce messages straight
away.

See if the exinext utility gives you any useful information about retry
data for the hosts or domains. Also, read up about the
delay_after_cutoff option of the smtp transport.