Re: Another [side question [[Exim] Domain Literals and the e…

Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: James P. Roberts
To: exim-users
Betreff: Re: Another [side question [[Exim] Domain Literals and the exim4 docs]]
<snip>
>On incoming SMTP mail, only "postmaster" is allowed
>to be unqualified, unless you set recipient_unqualified_hosts.

</snip>

Lately, as the number of domains I am hosting increases, I am finding
that many spammers direct emails to postmaster@???. This
means I get their junk mail, because:

(a) each domain I host is on the local_domains list.
(b) "postmaster" localpart is aliased to my account (/etc/aliases)

Now, the question is, is it ethical to reject email that comes addressed
to postmaster, with a domain other than my own primary domain, simply
because it is virtually guaranteed to be spam? Or would that be a
"Terrible Thing To Do," in violation of RFCs?

Would accepting the mail and then auto-bit-bucketing it satisfy the
RFCs?

Would Spam Assassin be in violation of RFCs if it is set to reject spam
at SMTP time, with no exception for mail addressed to "postmaster"? If
SA (thusly configured) is NOT in violation, it implies that I am
permitted to filter spam, by my own definition of spam (SA is
configurable, after all); and therefore, could I not declare that
anything addressed to postmaster@??? is spam, and
therefore reject it?

OK, assuming it is a "TTTD," and I MUST continue to accept (and deliver)
such messages, may (or should) I configure Exim to deliver these emails
to my customers, instead of to myself? Or is that a bad idea, since my
customers would:

(a) get lots more spam
(b) probably never get legit (non-spam) postmaster email
(c) forward non-spam postmaster stuff (if any) to me anyway

Is it "better" to just accept them in my own mailbox, and delete them
manually, as I do now? I dislike this, considering the amount is
already annoying, and growing.

Any comments, suggestions, "best practice" definitions?

Jim Roberts
Punster Productions, Inc.