Re: [Exim] Domain Literals and the exim4 docs

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Matthew Byng-Maddick
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Domain Literals and the exim4 docs
On Tue, 2 Jul 2002, Matthew Byng-Maddick wrote:

> Actually, the correct thing to do would be to just use
> RCPT TO:<postmaster>
> on the relay box.

Indeed.

> Yes, under 2821, postmaster is allowed (as a MUST, I believe) to be
> unqualified.

Yes.

> As a side question, will exim4 allow RCPT TO:<postmaster>, or am I going to
> have to patch it?

No patch needed. I read the RFC. From the source code:

    /* If the recipient address is unqualified, reject it, unless this is a
    locally generated message. However, unqualified addresses are permitted
    from a configured list of hosts and nets - typically when behaving as
    MUAs rather than MTAs. Sad that SMTP is used for both types of traffic,
    really. The flag is set at the start of the SMTP connection.

    RFC 1123 talks about supporting "the reserved mailbox postmaster"; I always
    assumed this meant "reserved local part", but the revision of RFC 821 and
    friends now makes it absolutely clear that it means *mailbox*. Consequently
    we must always qualify this address, regardless. */

Exim qualifies "postmaster" with the value of qualify_domain.