[Exim] Re: Re: Callbacks and bounces (exim v3)

Autor: Derrick 'dman' Hudson
A: Exim users list
Assumpte: [Exim] Re: Re: Callbacks and bounces (exim v3)
--
On Sun, Jun 30, 2002 at 12:06:53PM +0100, Matthew Byng-Maddick wrote:
| On Fri, Jun 28, 2002 at 02:18:50PM -0500, Derrick 'dman' Hudson wrote:

| > | We had callbacks enabled for aol.com, and I find if I try manually
| > | reproducing the effect of a callback to them I get
| > | rcpt to:<MAILER-DAEMON@???>
| > | 550 MAILBOX NOT FOUND
| > | Any comments to help me understand what's going on, please?

| > AOL claims that that address doesn't exist. If exim needs to bounce
| > the incoming message (for whatever reason), how can it do so?

| If you'd read the thread, you'd know that this was a bounce in a header
| line.

Actually, that wasn't stated. I assumed that address was the envelop
sender since the callback was trying to verify it.

| Your MTA should *NEVER* bounce to an address that only appears in
| the header line.

Agreed.

| > | Should exim be verifying the sender of bounces via callback?
| >
| > The sender of a bounce is supposed to be <> (the "NULL" sender).
| > Anything else isn't (really) a bounce message.

| This wasn't a sender. This was a header line.

I thought the callbacks operated on the envelope only. The envelope
sender wasn't shown in the original post.

-D

--

One OS to rule them all, one OS to find them,
One OS to bring them all and in the darkness bind them,

http://dman.ddts.net/~dman/