Re: [Exim] home_directory and filters

Author: Matt McLeod
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] home_directory and filters
Philip Hazel wrote:
> On Sat, 29 Jun 2002, Matt McLeod wrote:
> > > ... but if they have no home directories, what does a relative path
> > > mean?
> >
> > Relative to their inbox (/var/mail/$local_part/), which is a maildir.
>
> So why can't you set that as their home directory in the password data?

Not sure if I can. The system is getting password data from NIS,
and the home directories do exist on everything else. We can't
change the contents of NIS for this.

The idea here is to have a self-contained mail server, which is why
this machine won't be mounting home directories from the file servers.

The other idea is for it to involve as little admin work as possible
once it's up and running. So creating a farm of symlinks from where
NIS says the home directories should be into /var/mail isn't really
an option either.

> I have put an item on the Wish List to think about ways of specifying a
> base directory to be used when running a filter file.

Ta.

The ideal, I think, would be for the filter-handling stuff to honour
the home_directory option in whatever transport it's called from.
That was the behaviour I'd expected, hence my surprise when it
didn't quite work that way.

I might have a poke around and see if I can figure out how to make
that happen, at least for local use.

Matt