Re: [Exim] Re: Underscore in domain is being rejected

Author: Matthew Byng-Maddick
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Re: Underscore in domain is being rejected
On Sat, Jun 29, 2002 at 10:44:13PM -0500, Derrick 'dman' Hudson wrote:
> Never underestimate Windows' potential for stupidity. A windows
> machine can be installed and configured with an underscore in the
> host/domain name. Exchange will then present that name in the EHLO.
> While I don't have direct experience with that, that was the source of
> the complaint regarding the strictness in exim4's helo checking
> option.

Be very careful with your wording. Underscores *ARE* legitimate in domain
names. They are *NOT* legitimate in *host* names, and they are not
legitimate as domain parts of email addresses.

Windows is, therefore perfectly within its rights to generate underscore
names, and it does (in the case of Active Directory). It's just not allowed
to use them in email addresses. In this case, it's been shown that fetchmail,
the dreadful piece of software that it is, is actually the problem.

MBM