Re: [Exim] Underscore in domain is being rejected

Autor: Dave C.
A: Sean Rima
CC: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] Underscore in domain is being rejected
On Sun, 30 Jun 2002, Sean Rima wrote:

> On Sat, 29 Jun 2002, Tabor J. Wells stated:
>
> >> ,----
> >> `----
> >>
> >> In my fetchmail log, I telneted to the server and did a test:
> >>
> >> ,----
> >> `----
> >>
> >> Any suggestions
> >
> > Underscores have never been valid in domain names.
> >
> > It's kylemore-pass.com and I'm not sure what st_agency.com is supposed
> > to be. stagency.com maybe?
>
> I discovered this afterwards, so it is not a problem in Exim but
> fetchmail. Will have to report it. Also must let my ISP know.

Its not really a 'bug' in fetchmail, unless fetchmail is supposed to
support enforcing syntax checks. Its simply a case of some spammer
forging an invalid domain name for their envelope sender address. As
nice as syntax enforcement is, not all ISP's can or want to do it.

This is just one symptom of what is really a poor way of transferring
mail anyway. (Taking mail out of a POP box and re-injecting it into an
MTA)