Re [Exim] multiple ip address (re)routing

Autor: Mark McRitchie
A: 'exim-users@exim.org'
Assumpte: Re [Exim] multiple ip address (re)routing
You can use the metric/weighting of gateway routes to do it, sort of...

From
http://lartc.org/HOWTO//cvs/2.4routing/html/lartc.rpdb.multiple-links.html#A
EN284

Instead of choosing one of the two providers as your default route, you now
set up the default route to be a multipath route. In the default kernel this
will balance routes over the two providers. It is done as follows (once more
building on the example in the section on split-access):

        ip route add default scope global nexthop via $P1 dev $IF1
weight 1 \
        nexthop via $P2 dev $IF2 weight 1

This will balance the routes over both providers. The weight parameters can
be tweaked to favor one provider over the other.

Note that balancing will not be perfect, as it is route based, and routes
are cached. This means that routes to often-used sites will always be over
the same provider.