Re: [Exim] Virtual domains and plain/login authentication

Author: Iain Price
To: romero
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Virtual domains and plain/login authentication
>     I presume the variable ${domain} its not present in the login namespace so I
> wonder if theres a way to do this thing...

I'm could be barking up the wrong tree here, not being an exim expert
yet and having only been on this list for 20 minutes maybe i should keep
quiet, so take this with a bag of salt, but....

surely the smtp authentication occurs before the MAIL / RCPT line - and
surely these are used to determine the 'destination domain'.

In fact isn't this the same 'protocol problem' that HTTPS (and SMTPS?)
has where the SSL is negotiated before the server is told of the virtual
host identification, so it can only ever reply with one generic certificate.

Again, here, this occurs before the virtualhost is specified (in the
RCPT TO list presumably) therefor you can not make any reasonable
decisions on this at authentication time...?

Someone dispel my illusions or back me up please :D

(i.e., surely it's technically impossible without implementing alternate
methods of virtual hosting - 'trap' the DNS request from an IP :P )

Iain