Re: [Exim] ldap lookup -- multiple results

Autor: Douglas Gray Stephens
A: Derrick 'dman' Hudson
CC: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] ldap lookup -- multiple results
Derrick,

At 18:09 (GMT-0500) on 24-June-2002, Derrick 'dman' Hudson wrote:
> --
>
> I'm having some fun configuring exim (4.05) to pull all sorts of
> routing and control information from an OpenLDAP server. (it's
> working out quite well, actually)
>
> I did run into a little snag, though. I want to set up some lists
> where list membership is given as an attribute on the user's LDAP
> entry. The compilation of all members can then easily be determined
> by a LDAP search that filters on that attribute. This seems to be the
> easiest way to keep list membership manageable for system admins. The
> problem I ran into is this message from exim (wrapped for
> readability):
>
 >     message: failed to expand
 >             "${lookup ldap {ldap://barak.itusa.org/ou=People,
 >             o=International Teams?uid?sub?
 >             (mailGroupLocalPart=${quote_ldap:$local_part}) } }":

 >         lookup of
 >             "ldap://barak.itusa.org/ou=People,o=International Teams?uid?sub?
 >             (mailGroupLocalPart=aitp) "

 >         gave DEFER: LDAP search: more than one entry (2) was returned
 >             (filter not specific enough?)

So the ldap method fails if there are zero OR more than one match
(i.e. LDAP match is good for forcing there to be ONLY one match).

You are looking multiple matches, so need to look at using ldapm.
This will return the list of UIDs one per line. If your UIDs are
multi-values (unlikely), then those records that had a multi-values
would be returned as a comma separated list on the appropriate lines,
i.e.
uid-for-record1
uid-for-record2
uid-for-record3 value1, uid-for-record3 value2
uid-for-record4
etc.

> This is on a 'redirect' router. I didn't finish the expansion string
> because I wasn't sure how to convert the multiple return entries into
> a list of addresses. (one step at a time :-))

This depends on how you get from the UIDs to the email addresses (why
not just return the mail attribute?).

Douglas.

--

Douglas GRAY STEPHENS