Re: [Exim] Authentication

Autor: Tamas TEVESZ
A: Dr Andrew C Aitchison
CC: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] Authentication
On Mon, 24 Jun 2002, Dr Andrew C Aitchison wrote:

> I assumed that --enable-auth-mysql was a compile-time option for some
> packaged version of exim (Red Hat, Debian, slackware, ... ?).

if you think about it, it doesn't make any sense.

"--enable-auth-mysql" suggests that that it enables the use of mysql
for authentication. *only* authentication. i don't think one can do it
without modifying exim (ie, when this argument is supplied, one can
use mysql lookups in authenticators, but not in anything else).

the reason i'm emphasizing it so much is that (some) people seem to
invent their own terminology. exim has it's own established
terminology (right or not is not really the question, though i have no
problems with it), not adhering to it is confusing, at the very least.

<ranting session>
besides, i think it should (could?) be expectable from anyone to
describe their environment properly at the first place, to lessen the
chance of confusion. that would save many of us some time, as i, for
example, wouldn't spend much time think about a problem that looks,
say, aix-specific; but if the environment is not clear, it just leads
10 more mails asking "what are we exactly talking about?"...
</ranting session>

--
[-]