[Exim] Re: Sending mail with exim..

Author: Derrick 'dman' Hudson
To: exim list
New-Topics: [Exim] Routing from spam-list
Subject: [Exim] Re: Sending mail with exim..
--
On Thu, Jun 20, 2002 at 12:28:00PM -0400, Mike Gifford wrote:

| Yes.. I expect that this is the problem.. Sympatico.ca HSE is evil..

| Thanks! got confirmation from others on a local irc that they block
| both incoming and outgoing calls on port 25..

Actually, that's a good thing for most -- it prevents your neighbors
who use Outlook and Klez from sharing it with the rest of us. It also
prevents direct-to-mx spammers from abusing their service. It also
prevents them from being open-relays.

(of course, it does prevent responsible customers from running their
own private mail server and using ddts or dyndns for name service)

| I may be back to trying exim again if I can send mail on port 26 to
| another user who isn't stuck behind an ISP who blocks this port..

If the host you wish to transfer to is willing to accept SMTP
connections on a port that isn't blocked from your side, you can
coerce your copy of exim to make the outgoing connection on that
alternate port.

An easier solution is to simply use your ISP as a "smarthost relay".
This is the intended setup for a home user. What this means is that
you'll connect to Sympatico.ca's SMTP server and have it transfer the
message on to your intended recipient.

-D

--

The heart is deceitful above all things
    and beyond cure.

I the Lord search the heart
    and examine the mind,
to reward a man according to his conduct,
    according to what his deeds deserve.

        Jeremiah 17:9-10

http://dman.ddts.net/~dman/