Re: [Exim] exim configuration

Author: Greg Ward
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] exim configuration
On 19 June 2002, Orm Finnendahl said:
> I'm desperately trying to configure exim for a couple of days and get
> strange errors. I' using mutt and exim on a debian system on a laptop.

You forgot to mention which version of Exim you're using. I'll assume
you're running woody or sid, and therefore Exim 3.3x.

> If I try to send mail with exim, I get the following strange errors in
> /var/log/exim/mainlog:

Please show us the exact command-line used to send email. Using mutt
doesn't count -- you should invoke Exim directly, eg.

$ echo "Subject: test\n\nbody" | exim -dN addr@???

for N in 1 .. 11, depending on how much debugging info you want/need. I
think you have to be root to get maximum debugging. Or a trusted user,
if you feel like configuring that.

> 2002-06-19 09:33:58 17KZyY-0000CW-00 <= finnendahl@???
> U=orm P=local S=570 id=20020619073357.GB748@???
> 2002-06-19 09:33:58 17KZyY-0000CW-00 ** --@finnendahl.de: unknown
> local-part "--" in domain "finnendahl.de"
> 2002-06-19 09:33:58 17KZyY-0000CW-00 ** delay@???: unknown
> local-part "delay" in domain "finnendahl.de"
> 2002-06-19 09:33:58 17KZyY-0000CW-00 ** failure@???: unknown
> local-part "failure" in domain "finnendahl.de"

That looks like some weird command-line invocation of Exim -- perhaps
your mutt configuration is confused. Which is why I suggest using Exim
directly, and *then* trying to get an MUA working.

        Greg