Re: [Exim] Re: [EXIM} using -foption with From: in the body

Autor: Nigel Metheringham
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] Re: [EXIM} using -foption with From: in the body
On Wed, 2002-06-19 at 10:37, Philip Hazel wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Jun 2002 renkel@??? wrote:
>
> > My earlier statement ?s may have been mis-leading.
> > What I meant was I formed the message and passed it to sendmail.
> > In the HEADER part of the message I had a From: line
> > that was NOT overwritten by exim.Sendmail does overwrite it when -f option specified.
> > I have no documentation to suppoort what is supposed to happen,
> > just fact of what I see on sendmail on solaris and Linux.
> > So I just assumed exim would match it.

Personally I have always assumed that -f specified the envelope address
of a message. Blindly applying the envelope address to the header
addresses appears to be very very wrong (although adding a From: header
if there was none present could be justified).

> Not very helpful. No mention of modifying From: there, nor in the
> section about the From: header itself (it just says it adds one if it's
> absent).

Sendmail compatibility would be so much easier if someone had a clue of
what sendmail is trying to do :-)

    Nigel.