Re: [Exim] Re: [EXIM} using -foption with From: in the body

Góra strony
Autor: Philip Hazel
Dla: renkel
CC: exim-users
Temat: Re: [Exim] Re: [EXIM} using -foption with From: in the body
On Tue, 18 Jun 2002 renkel@??? wrote:

> My earlier statement ?s may have been mis-leading.
> What I meant was I formed the message and passed it to sendmail.
> In the HEADER part of the message I had a From: line
> that was NOT overwritten by exim.Sendmail does overwrite it when -f option specified.
> I have no documentation to suppoort what is supposed to happen,
> just fact of what I see on sendmail on solaris and Linux.
> So I just assumed exim would match it.

That's a perfectly reasonable assumption. Unfortunately, this behaviour
doesn't seem to be documented anywhere, and clearly it isn't used or
recognized much, because nobody else has ever mentioned it. I've just
looked on the CD of the O'Reilly book on sendmail, and all it says is

     The -f and -r command-line switches are interchangeable. Either
     causes sendmail to take the address of the sender
     from the command line rather than from the envelope or message
     header.

Not very helpful. No mention of modifying From: there, nor in the
section about the From: header itself (it just says it adds one if it's
absent).

Anyway, as nobody else seems to care, and you no longer have this as a
problem, I propose to do nothing about it.