[Exim] Re: Corruption of mbox mailboxes

Inizio della pagina
Autore: Derrick 'dman' Hudson
To: Exim Users
CC: Odhiambo Washington, Greg Ward
Oggetto: [Exim] Re: Corruption of mbox mailboxes
--
On Tue, Jun 18, 2002 at 08:41:00PM +0300, Odhiambo Washington wrote:
| * Greg Ward <gward@???> [20020618 20:13]: wrote:
| > On 18 June 2002, Odhiambo G. Washington said:
| > > I am running Exim on a box and I am delivering mail to mbox. The problem
| > > I am having is that ocassionally I end up with a corrupted mbox. I did
| > > a careful analysis and found that when the corruption happens, the last
| > > e-mail appended to the mbox does have it's last contents at the very
| > > top of the mbox file. I then have to manually edit the file to correct
| > > this anomally as the user is unable to access the maibox.
| >
| > Locking problem perhaps?

That's the most likely cause of mbox corruption. It's a good reason
to use a different mailstore (eg maildir).

Are you trying to use NFS?

| > > I am attaching one of such mbox that I used for analysis.
| >
| > Ouch! Some people have to pay for bandwidth you know -- a 900 kB
| > message on a public mailing list is *not* nice! Never mind privacy
| > concerns...

| It's a mailbox that is mainly for spam...user changed address but I
| do keep it..

Maybe I missed your point here ...

I missed your original message too. Spam filters are great :-).
(apparently effective too!)

-D

--

All a man's ways seem innocent to him,