[Exim] Re: Debian, Exim and HELO.

Author: Derrick 'dman' Hudson
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] Re: Debian, Exim and HELO.
--
On Tue, Jun 18, 2002 at 09:41:58AM +0200, Jan Johansson wrote:

| > However, you've been rather silly in using the 192.168.0.0/24 network,
| > as RFC1918 suggests that you should pick a random one.

| Yes? 0 is random :) Well, i dont really see a problem with using 0.

The problem comes in when some config isn't right and the private
address escapes its bounds. Suppose I am using 0 (ok, I am, I should
change it sometime after I move back home). Suppose also that I put
the wrong interface in my DDTS config (I did that too, oops). Now
when you do a DNS query for 'dman2.ddts.net' you end up getting back
192.168.0.1. Your machine sees that, it's a valid address, and points
to some.host on your lan. That isn't a good thing.

Now that I know why it's a good idea not to use the same block as
everyone else, I will do that next time it is in my power/control to
choose the numbering.

-D

--

Failure is not an option. It is bundled with the software.

http://dman.ddts.net/~dman/