Re: [Exim] Corruption of mbox mailboxes

Autor: Odhiambo Washington
A: Greg Ward
CC: Exim Users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] Corruption of mbox mailboxes
* Greg Ward <gward@???> [20020618 20:13]: wrote:
> On 18 June 2002, Odhiambo G. Washington said:
> > I am running Exim on a box and I am delivering mail to mbox. The problem
> > I am having is that ocassionally I end up with a corrupted mbox. I did
> > a careful analysis and found that when the corruption happens, the last
> > e-mail appended to the mbox does have it's last contents at the very
> > top of the mbox file. I then have to manually edit the file to correct
> > this anomally as the user is unable to access the maibox.
>
> Locking problem perhaps? Can you show us the router (director) and
> transport that you use for local delivery? Or is it done in the system
> filter, or user filter, or what?

Transport:

local_delivery:
  driver = appendfile
  file = /var/mail/${local_part}
  quota_warn_threshold = 75%
  quota_is_inclusive = false
  quota_warn_message = "\
                To: $local_part@$domain\n\
                Subject: Your mailbox is almost filled up!\n\n\
                This message is automatically created \
                by mail delivery software (Exim), your SMTP Server at wananchi.com.\n\
                The size of your mailbox has exceeded a warning threshold\n\
                set by our Mail Policies.\n\
                When you receive this message, it means that your current\n\
                mailbox size is approaching 30M (MegaBytes). You need to clean up old msgs.\n\
                If your e-mail software has a setting that leaves a copy of the message on\n\
                the server, please also set the option that deletes the message\n\
                from the server when you delete your local copy."
 quota = 30M
 maildir_tag = ,S=$message_size
 quota_size_regex = S=(\d+)$
  delivery_date_add
  envelope_to_add
  return_path_add
  group = mail
  mode = 0600

Director:

localuser:
driver = localuser
transport = local_delivery

> > I am attaching one of such mbox that I used for analysis.
>
> Ouch! Some people have to pay for bandwidth you know -- a 900 kB
> message on a public mailing list is *not* nice! Never mind privacy
> concerns...

It's a mailbox that is mainly for spam...user changed address but I do keep it..

Thanks in advance...

-Wash

--
Odhiambo Washington  <wash@???>    "The box said 'Requires