Re: [Exim] Dots in local parts

Autor: James P. Roberts
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] Dots in local parts
>> More generally, I would vote for rigorous enforcement of existing
>> standards, except in cases of extreme need If you do add it to the
>> default config, please post the ACL mods to the list, so those of us
>> already configured can do it the same way.
>
>The problem with "rigorous enforcement of existing standards" is
>backward compatibility. ("My boss is really mad because this used to
>work with Sendmail (or the previous release of Exim or whatever) -
>what can I do?"). You may recall I had to relax the hard stance on
>underscores in host names that I introduced in Exim 4.
>
>This all goes back to the early Internet philosophy of "be liberal in
>what you accept". This is often touted as a virtue. Personally, I think
>it was a bad mistake. Once some usage gets widespread, the community
>is stuck with it, whatever the standards say.

Well, I have no argument with what you are saying. If it were my boss
getting upset, I would certainly place the issue in the "extreme need"
category! ;)

I would go a bit further, and suggest that the issue of "backwards
compatibility with common usage" should be taken into account by
contributors to RFCs. Then, perhaps, strict adherence to new standards
wouldn't trigger so many such issues? And life would be easier for
programmers and administrators everywhere. (Although harder for the
standards writers, no doubt).

And, for the record, I am also for World Peace, Eradicating Hunger, and
100% Environmentally Friendly Technology. "And some pot in every
chicken!" (or something like that)... ;)

Jim