Re: [Exim] callout suggestion

Autor: Marc MERLIN
A: Philip Hazel
CC: Dave C., exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] callout suggestion
On Mon, Jun 10, 2002 at 09:39:07AM +0100, Philip Hazel wrote:
> On Fri, 7 Jun 2002, Dave C. wrote:
>
> > Basically a:
> >
> > "If the MX for the sending domain rejects MAIL FROM: <>, we wont accept
> > the mail at all"
> >
> > policy is a little bit too hard-line for our customers to accept (even
> > if it is the RFC-compliant way), but I could get away with a policy of:
> >
> > "If the MX for the sender domain rejects a RCPT TO: for the sending
> > address, regardless of wether the MAIL FROM: was <>, or
> > postmaster@ourdomain, we wont accept the mail"
> >
> > and still block lots of spam...
>
> I have added this idea added to the Wish List.

Note that I coded that back in the exim 3 days, and then realized how wrong
it was, because

1) people who refuse null envelope do _not_ deserve to have their mail
accepted
2) More importantly, you now connect to me as callbackuser@yoursite.
Great, I run he same option as you do, and guess what happens?
I trigger a callback to you with callbackuser2@mysite.
So what do you do? Well, you do a callback to me
Get the idea... ?

If you really have to accept mail from a broken site, just stick them in
your do not callback exclude list.
(after having suitably yelled at them, and pointed them to
http://marc.merlins.org/netrants/nullenvelope.txt
or equivalent)

Marc
Home page: http://marc.merlins.org/   |   Finger marc_f@??? for PGP key