[Exim] Re: Newbie looking for lots of help....

Autor: Derrick 'dman' Hudson
A: exim-users
Assumpte: [Exim] Re: Newbie looking for lots of help....
--
On Thu, Jun 13, 2002 at 10:27:22AM -0400, Jim Pallister wrote:

| As you can tell I am new setting up a mail server -- this is only
| for local users on my private network thankfully.

No virtual domains? If not, don't try and make this more complicated
than it needs to be. If all your users are in /etc/passwd, just
adjust the local_delivery transport to deliver where and in the format
you want.

| So - flatfile should be fine - this is a small place 20 users or so.
| POP access - I am running teapop at the moment and it works fine - -
| I have it recognizing my domain names and users and it looks for a
| mailbox in the directory: /mail/domain.com/user_name. (I copied a
| mailbox with a message in it to this folder and was able to pull it
| in through oulook on my PC.

Ok, if you like /mail/domain.com/ as your mail spool, that's easy. If
you are using virtual domains (that is, if your server handles mail
for domain.com *and* me.net (and maybe others) and they have different
users) then it is more complicated and I don't know how to handle
that.

| I need to route mail like so:

| PC sends message to user_at_localdomain.com

| exim looks up user_at_localdomain.com in /etc/exim/domain_aliases
| file (specified in a director)

| alias says user_at_localdomain.com has mailbox domaincom_user
| exim routes message to /mail/domain.com/domaincom_user <-- where this is a mailbox

| --OR--

| alias says user_at_localdomain.com has maildir /mail/domain.com/user/
| exim routes message to /mail/domain.com/user/ <-- where this is a maildir

| Now am I wrong in understanding the way this works

Why would you want some users with mbox and some with maildir? That
only makes it more complicated for you, and a POP client won't be able
to tell the difference. That's the nice thing about using POP/IMAP in
the first place -- the client can't tell what sort of mail store (eg
a SQL db if you use cyrus) the server is using.

In case this helps you, here's my local_delivery transport. It uses
maildir format folders in the usual spool location.

# This transport is used for local delivery to user mailboxes.
local_delivery:
    driver = appendfile
    directory = /var/spool/mail/${local_part}/
    maildir_format
    group = mail
    return_path_add
    delivery_date_add
    envelope_to_add
    no_mode_fail_narrower
    create_directory

HTH,
-D

--

If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just and will forgive us our
sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.

http://dman.ddts.net/~dman/