Re: [Exim] rewrite rule help

Autor: Dave C.
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] rewrite rule help
On Thu, 13 Jun 2002, Philip Hazel wrote:

> On Thu, 13 Jun 2002, Dave C. wrote:
>
> > > Rewrite rules only rewrite syntactically valid addresses (with the sole
> > > exception of the 'S' rule for SMTP arguments).
> >
> > Er, I'm specifically using the 'S' flag. Shouldnt that be able to tackle
> > it?
>
> No. You are trying to rewrite a header line. The 'S' flag says "apply
> this rule to the arguments of incoming SMTP commands". You need flags
> like f, r, etc. to say "apply this rule to the addresses in header
> lines", and that's when Exim expects to see valid addresses.

Oh.. Thats not how I understood it.. I though the S rule only controlled
*WHEN* the rewriting was done (eg, before any address verification or
other checks were done), not what was rewritten..

Upon re-reading the relevant section, I see what I missed.

Grumble.

I suppose I will attempt to make the syntax check conditional, and/or
use a headers add/remove function.

It would still be nice to be able to fix this up before the synax checks
though.. As crappy as these mail clients are, they arent going away, and
they arent going to get fixed, and I would still like to force mail to
have correct syntax..