Re: [Exim] Newbie looking for lots of help....

Autor: Dave C.
A: Peter N Lewis
CC: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] Newbie looking for lots of help....
On Thu, 13 Jun 2002, Peter N Lewis wrote:

> At 22:38 +0000 12/6/02, John (TJ) Penton wrote:
>
> >Later, if you start doing aliasing, you will want to create an alias file
> >too. Exim shouldn't need any other files iirc.
>
> I think you need the alias file immediately as it is referenced from
> the default configuration, however you can use the default aliases
> file (or even a blank one for now, although at least postmaster:
> your@address would be good to have in it).
>
> >Does the user "user" exist on the system which Exim is running on? If
> >not, create the user with the useradd command (or edit /etc/passwd).
>
> I didn't want to do this, so I tracked down a perl popd written by
> Tobin Fricke, and after a bunch of changes and cleanup ended up with
> a pop server that just uses a private password file so that users
> don't have to have a real login account. I also wrote a quick

You could make a regular unix account, and then use /bin/true as their
password. This would give them a 'real' system account, but no access to
log in. But the way you did it is good too..

> popassd as well so they can change their password. I'll make these
> available when they are stabilized if anyone is interested.
>
> >Unless you configure it especially to do so, Exim won't deliver mail to
> >users that don't exist on the system (other than forwarding it to another
> >mail server).
>
> Yep, although it's not hard. But it does require reading the
> configuration file and a fair amount of the very good manual (I just
> wish Acrobat searched the PDF faster!).

There is a text version of the specification. Text tools will surely be
faster than PDF..