Re: [Exim] rewrite rule help

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Dave C.
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] rewrite rule help
On Wed, 12 Jun 2002, Dave C. wrote:

> ARGH.. I'm pulling my hair out over this.

Don't do that. Just let time pass and it will fall out all by itself. :-)

> To: <Undisclosed Recipients:;>

> I have been trying to get a rewrite rile, to convert that to something

Rewrite rules only rewrite syntactically valid addresses (with the sole
exception of the 'S' rule for SMTP arguments).

> However, exim appears to be completely ignoring this rule. It leaves the
> header untouched, and then the header_syntax check kicks in, and the 5xx
> is issued..

It won't find any valid addresses, so it won't try to rewrite them.

The rewrite rules are intended for rewriting addresses, not for patching
up malformed header lines. The rules operate per RFC 2822 address, not
per header line. If Exim can't understand a header line, it just gives
up.

The only thing I can think of is to use a "condition" condition in your
ACL to cut out the header_syntax_check when you see such a header. The
only way to rewrite it would be in the local_scan() function. (Or,
maybe, use headers remove and headers add in a system filter or a
router.) However, local_scan() gets called after all the other checks,
so you can't use it to patch up the header line before the syntax check.