Re: [Exim] Released: SpamAssassin at SMTP time in local_scan

Autor: Matt Bernstein
A: David Woodhouse
CC: dman, exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] Released: SpamAssassin at SMTP time in local_scan
On Jun 11 David Woodhouse wrote:

>dsh8290@??? said:
>> Dynamic loading of local_scan. This would allow the various
>> local_scans to be packaged separately from exim itself and
>> configurable at runtime. I don't know how hard this is in C.
>
>Fairly trivial -- see below. I think it's even vaguely portable.
>
>> In fact, this would be nice for the various lookups and mailstore
>> formats too. Packages could provide a base exim with the rest as
>> separate add-on modules loadable at runtime.
>
>Left as an exercise for the reader.

..or even the "Linux distribution", considering how eg apache is packaged.

I don't know if such modifications would make it into Philip's Exim,
though. I quite like the argument "if you can't build an MTA, you
shouldn't be admin of one"--just think of the extra noise on a list such
as this should Red Hat offer packages for exim, exim-mysql, exim-maildir..

Otoh I do like the local_scan being a dynamic shared object: it "would be
nice" to be able to plug more than one such object into an Exim, so that
you have lots of small bits of obviously correct code--maybe one for your
virus scanner, one for SpamAssassin, one for some-sort-of-PGP-validator,
etc--and you can just chain them together.