[Exim] Re: need urgent help with exim 4 and RBL ?

Autor: Derrick 'dman' Hudson
A: exim-users
Assumpte: [Exim] Re: need urgent help with exim 4 and RBL ?
--
On Wed, Jun 12, 2002 at 04:16:02AM +0200, volker augustin wrote:
| "Dave C." wrote:

| > > some messageid... <== <>
| > >
| > > and then it was relayed to so many addresses.......
| >
| > Were those addresses in your local domains?

| hmmmm, maybe it could be that postgres will return also a NULL value
| ?! (thats only a thought)... i dont really think so.

A NULL sender should only occur with DSN (Delivery Status
Notification) messages, and perhaps some other (eg vacation)
autoresponses. You should basically treat it like any other sender --
accept the message if it is for a valid recipient in your domain and
reject it otherwise.

| > Was the sender host in your relay_from_hosts?

| no, i tried this, but then it seems my server would not relay to
| local-domains.... i played around with it, set relay_from_hosts to '
| ! my.dialup.ip.address' and was denied.

What was denied from where to where?  There are lots of variables that
decide whether or not the connection is denied.  If you set
    relay_from_hosts = ! my.own.ip.address
and tried connecting via _that_ address, you would be denied relaying.
However, if you connect from any _other_ address, relaying would be
allowed.  See below.

| could there be an error in the statement
|     relay_from_hosts = ! some.host.tobe.blocked ?

Yes.

| does exim know what i mean with that?

No.

What you've said there is "any host _but_ that one host can relay".
The list ends with an implicit "*" otherwise nothing would ever be in
the list and writing it would be pointless.

What I'm saying is
    relay_from_hosts = ! some.host.tobe.blocked
is the same as
    relay_from_hosts = ! some.host.tobe.blocked : *
and you really don't want that '*' in there!

HTH,
-D

--

The truly righteous man attains life,
but he who pursues evil goes to his death.

Jabber ID : dman@???