[Exim] Re: Mail relay problems

Αρχική Σελίδα
Συντάκτης: Derrick 'dman' Hudson
Ημερομηνία:
Προς: 'Exim-User (E-mail)'
Αντικείμενο: [Exim] Re: Mail relay problems
--
On Mon, Jun 10, 2002 at 02:52:45PM -0500, Cory Daehn wrote:

| Actually, SMTP Auth is a little too difficult for me to deal with.
| (Remember, rule #1... People are stupid.) I had a hard enough time with
| our customers after I switched to "ipless" virtual e-mail domains. They
| had to change their mail server (in and out) to the new single name and
| put an @domain at the end of their logon... That took about 2 weeks for
| 'em to figure out. After we sent them an E-mail a week before we did
| it, and a fax the day of the change. Idiots.

My school used to be an open relay (or mostly, if students had borked
systems). A while ago they changed to require SMTP AUTH (unless you
were coming from their own dial-up pool, which of course requires it's
own auth). I don't know how much trouble other people had, but the
only change was a popup in Netscape that asked for user/pass when
sending mail. They haven't backed down from it, so I suppose it must
not have been that bad.

| I'd much rather have a setup that easily enables SMTP after POP3
| automatically.

That's flaky at best. Suppose someone "pops", then gets disconnected,
and a spammer picks up that IP before your timeout.

| But nobody has written a mail server with that
| capability built in.... YET.

Probably because it is, by definition, unreliable.

-D

--

Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair
and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes.  Instead, it should be