[Exim] Re: Re: Mail relay problems

Top Pagina
Auteur: Derrick 'dman' Hudson
Aan: exim
Onderwerp: [Exim] Re: Re: Mail relay problems
--
On Sun, Jun 09, 2002 at 07:08:18PM +0100, Andy Coy wrote:

| >Do keep in mind that this setup makes you an open relay. (Eg, tons o>f
| >people who are *not* your customers can relay through your server)

| >Spammers *WILL* find you, and they will start taking advantage of this.

| Thanks for the warning Dave. I do realise this opens up to Tiscali's
| network, however they do have rules if anyone uses me for spam it must come
| from within Tiscali's domains and they are about the 3rd biggest in Europe,
| so I'm not to worried. They have a rep to protect.

Actually, the bigger the ISP the more worried you need to be. When an
ISP is large enough, it will have lots of IP addresses and customers
who could be spammers. In addition, their abuse desk (if they have
one) will be overloaded and in the end they probably won't do much to
help the problem. As for reputation ... has anyone heard of AOL,
Yahoo, Hotmail, MSN, or Earthlink? Lots of spam comes through there.

If *YOU* don't prevent the problem from starting, no one else will,
apart from people who will stop accepting all mail from your server
(and your valid customers). In fact, people who use sa-exim won't
even accept the mail from your server in the first place and make YOU
responsible for returning a bounce to the original sender. That
creates extra load on your server. In fact, some admins might even
configure sa-exim to only "temporarily" (instead of permanently)
reject the mail so that the junk sits on your queue for days while
your server continually attempts to deliver the mail. Just think of
the fun you'll have with that :-).

-D

--

If your life is a hard drive,