Re: [Exim] reliability problems

Author: Derrick 'dman' Hudson
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] reliability problems
--
On Fri, Jun 07, 2002 at 09:37:08AM +0100, Philip Hazel wrote:
| On Thu, 6 Jun 2002, dman wrote:

| > I recently started testing out maildrop as a delivery agent. I didn't
| > want to lose anything (mail or functionality) so I wanted to keep my
| > existing exim filter for deliveries, but create a duplicate of every
| > message to feed to maildrop. First I tried an "unseen pipe" in the
| > system filter. If maildrop exited with an error status, the message
| > would stay on the queue until the next run when it would be silently
| > dropped.

| Was your filter command unconditional? That is, would the "unseen pipe"
| command have been obeyed every time the filter was run? If it was
| wrapped inside "if first_delivery", for example, you'd get that
| behaviour.

Oh, yeah, I forgot about that part. Thanks. I put the unseen pipe at
the end of the filter, but the beginning is like the sample on
exim.org for killing virus-look-alikes.

| > I believe the problem is that the unseen pipe and shadow_transport
| > aren't treated as real messages, so when there's a temporary error
| > they aren't retried like normal deliveries are.

| They should be, assuming they get obeyed at each delivery attempt.

The shadow transport doesn't have any "first_delivery" conditions for
me to screw up, though, does it?

-D

--

For society, it's probably a good thing that engineers value function
over appearance.  For example, you wouldn't want engineers to build