[Exim] Exim not downward compatible with older SMTP AUTH com…

Author: Marc Langer
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] Exim not downward compatible with older SMTP AUTH common practice?
Hello,

as discussed before, some mail programs expect AUTH=LOGIN instead
of AUTH LOGIN in the esmtp greeting.

Someone wrote (last year, I think) this was a bug in old Outlook
versions, and Philip refused to add a hack to Exim, announcing both
"AUTH LOGIN" und "AUTH=LOGIN". Instead he wanted Microsoft to deliver
patches...

Today I read an interesting article in a German newsgroup, showing
that Netscape/Mozilla also depends on AUTH=LOGIN and it was best common
practice before standardized by RFC 2222 and 2554: Netscape used it
since the mid of the 90th, and the author auf RFC 2222 and 2554
was a Netscape employee. In these RFCs they revised the protocol to
support additional login mechanisms, but still use the old practice,
even in the Mozilla project.

Joern Weber <listen@???> knows a lot about the SMTP AUTH
history, I think, and he wrote, to be downward compatible, AUTH=LOGIN
should also be announced in the EHLO greeting.

Philip, it would be great if you changed your mind and include this
hack in Exim 4.x. As some Outlook and Netscape still need it, that
would be very helpful for people like me, working at an ISP and
having to patch Exim at our own :-)
I think Joern can give you more information about this topic.
The very interesting usenet article (in German):
http://groups.google.de/groups?as_umsgid=%3Cf577beb6778a1191e9984f1f3a89ca6b%40blechtrottel.joernweber.de%3E&lr=&hl=de

Marc