Re: [Exim] Scalability

Author: michael
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Scalability
> We have 1400 users happily using exim. We've implemented it about 8 months
> ago. Currently we are having issues with our email servers capacity. There
> is 30+GB of mail stored there. Here is a scenerio: One user has a humerous
> picture and decides to email it to all-staff@???. The picture
> is 1MB in size. The disk usage has just increased on our mailserver 1.4GB
> because of that one picture (1MB x 1400 users = 1.4GB). Is there anyway
> around this nightmere?

I can't think of anything that would not annoy people, so why
not increasing disk space? IDE drives are very cheap and the 3ware
controllers perform excellent at a very reasonable price. 7 drives (3
pairs plus one hot spare) with 40 GB each gives you 120 GB netto capacity.
Using software RAID, which works well on Linux, you could also use 8
drives on the controller as JBOD plus a hotspare on the regular IDE
controller, getting 160 GB netto capacity.

Michael