Re: Re[2]: [Exim] Bug in quote_ldap?

Author: michael
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: Re[2]: [Exim] Bug in quote_ldap?
Philip:

> 1. LDAP quoting is applied to the string.

That's the point: Different parts of the LDAP query use different quoting
mechanisms. While filters quote using backslash notation, strings in
the DN use #hex representation. I guess nobody of us was aware of that
so far. I have no sensible suggestion for a function name that quotes
LDAP filters.

Peter:

> 1. `quote_ldapdn' (I prefer this to `quote_dnstring')

I suggested dnstring, because it does not quote an entire DN, only an
entire string inside a DN. Using it on a DN would not work, because it
would not know what to quote. Using it on a partial string would not
work either.

I suggest not to offer backwards compatibility, because that creates
the false impression that the configuration is correct. Let it fail
and force people to think if they really only need URL quoting. As it
is, I could imagine that a number of Exim installations that use LDAP
do not work correctly, because strings are not quoted. The admins are
just not yet aware of it that they could be reached at <" postmaster"@domain>
as well as <postmaster@domain>. :)

Michael